The SOUTH AFRICAN SOCIETY for HISTORY TEACHING
invites you to the
32th ANNUAL CONFERENCE 5-6 October 2018
Hosted by the SASHT, in conjunction with the Faculty of Education of the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT)
SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS AND ABSTRACTS
Deadline: 15 AUGUST 2018
This is a conference for all involved in History education.
Theme: Bridging the divide between Theory and Practice in the Curriculum
(The History Teacher’s Craft)
We are calling upon academic historians, history educators involved in the practical teaching of History in primary and secondary schools, and post-graduate students doing research on topics that relate to the conference theme and sub-themes to submit proposals for paper, workshop or poster presentations for the upcoming SASHT conference. The organisers, particularly, are encouraging proposals that offer practical workshops and panel discussions where school teachers can explore issues related to bridging the divide between theory and practice.
The conference is structured around three broad sub-themes:
• History teaching in the Intermediate Phase (Grades 4-6)
• History teaching in the Senior Phase (Grades 7-9)
• History teaching in the Further Education and Training Phase. (Grades 10-12)
Topics to be explored include but are not limited to:
– The use of sources and evidence.
– Ways to bring archaeology into the classroom.
– Sensitive topics in history.
– What teachers do with local history.
– Beyond the classroom: excursions, museums, monuments and heritage
– Assessment: Driver or Measure?
– Novels, storytelling and orality in the history classroom
Proposals should be tailored to speak to one of the three broad sub-themes.
TYPES OF PRESENTATIONS
1. Paper Presentations: These will be allocated 20 minutes each, plus a 10 minute question/discussion time.
2. Workshop Presentations: Workshop presentations will be allocated 45 – 60 minutes each, inclusive of question and discussion time.
3. Poster Presentations: Posters will be displayed in a public area and time programmed for a 5-10 minute discussion during a walk-about.
HOW TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL TO PRESENT
An abstract of 150 – 200 words should be submitted as an email attachment to the conference committee, c/o Prof
Rob Siebörger – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Use MS-Word, Arial 11pt font, 1.5 spacing.
• The maximum length is 200 words including keywords or phrases.
• Authors must provide full contact details and details of the institution to which they belong, and indicate clearly the type of presentation proposed.
DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS Abstracts must reach us no later than WEDNESDAY 15th August 2018 (deadline). The SASHT conference organizers will let prospective presenters know by 31 August whether or not their proposals have been accepted.
FUTURE PUBLICATION OF PAPERS
We strongly encourage you to prepare your paper or presentation with a view to possible publication in the SASHT accredited journal, Yesterday&Today. An electronic version which can be downloaded for peer review should be a maximum of 20 pages in length, double spaced and in Arial 11pt font. See examples of Yesterday&Today articles on Sciello open access (http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_serial&pid=2223-0386&lng=en), the www.SASHTw.org.za website or http://dspace.nwu.ac.za/handle/10394/5126
REGISTRATION & LODGING: Please consult the attached list of possible places for accommodation.
See you in Cape Town!
+/-R513 “20 On Dixon”: 500m from CPUT 20 Dixton Rd, Mowbray, 082 559 9004
+/-R595 Meg’s Charm: 600m from CPUT 14 Sussex Rd, Observatory 078 000 5301
+/-R796 Double Tree by Hilton hotel: 1.75km from CPUT 31 Brickfield Rd, Woodstock 021 404 0570
+/-R967 Madison Place Hotel: 840m from CPUT Trill Rd, Observatory 021 658 7100
+/-R1062 Brooklands House: 1.08km from CPUT 3 Surbiton Rd, Rosebank 021 689 3594
+/-R1124 Protea Hotel Marriott: 1km from CPUT Liesbeek Ave, Observatory, 021 442 5300
+/-R1284 Medindi Manor Victorian B&B: 1.04km from CPUT 4 Thicket Rd, Mowbray, 021 686 3563
+/-R1332 Carmichael House: 480m from CPUT 11 Wolmunster Rd, Rosebank, 021 689 8350
+/-R1358 City Lodge Hotel Pinelands:1.88km from CPUT 44 Mowbray Golf Park,Off Raapenberg Road Pinelands,021 685 7944
Backpacker options within 700m N
33 South Backpackers 4,2 (67) · 48 Trill Rd 021 447 2423 (R468)
Cape Budget Accommodation 6 Lynton Rd 021 447 9056
Bohemian Lofts Backpackers 4,2 (28) · 41 Trill Rd 021 447 6204
African Heart Backpackers 4,2 (15) · 27 Station Rd 021 447 3125 (R467)
Riverview Lodge 2,9 (26) · Travellers Lodge 5 Anson St 021 447 9056
Green Elephant Backpackers 4,0 (99) 57 Milton Rd 021 448 6359
Obviouzly Armchair Backpackers and Pub 4,1 135 Lower Main Rd 021 460 0458